The Cognella Academic Publishing imprint of Cognella, Inc., is immediately seeking a Production Editor to join our fast-moving and close-knit publishing team and to provide essential support for our forthcoming textbooks. In this position, editors are responsible for the production of academic textbooks, coordinating the copyediting, design, typesetting, and pre-press finalization of titles. Additionally, they engage in communication with authors/editors in a variety of disciplines nationwide. Production editors are also responsible for completing quality assurance checks and proofreading materials.
The ideal candidate will possess strong technical and editorial skills and have a proficiency in advanced editing and design software (namely the following Adobe Creative Suite software: InDesign, Illustrator, Photoshop). They should be able to learn new software programs and processes quickly, possess an innate curiosity about the inner workings of publishing, and have the drive and direction to complete their work thoroughly, efficiently, and on time. This position requires someone with a collaborative spirit and get-it-done attitude. This is an amazing opportunity to learn and grow a career in publishing in a thriving entrepreneurial environment.
- Prioritizes project workflow and manages multiple projects in order to meet deadlines
- Sends edited manuscripts and page proofs to authors; ensures changes are applied based on feedback from authors, project editors, and other invested parties; and reviews books’ content for correctness
- Plans the layout and design of select textbook interiors
- Assigns and communicates assignments and project specifications to external vendors and freelancers
- Liaises with other internal teams—including licensing, marketing, creative, and order fulfillment—at varying points throughout the production process
- Tracks project costs and communicates to managing editor when projects surpass budget goals
- Prepares and submits files for print and digital publication
- Troubleshoots editorial and technical issues as they arise
- Updates project tracking database and keeps records up to date
- Maintains telephone and e-mail correspondence with authors
- Attends weekly production meetings to discuss project and process updates, share vendor information, and track the overall progress of projects throughout each publishing season
- Assists in training new production employees
- Identifies potential freelance candidates; gauges skillsets; evaluates rates and bids; and coordinates onboarding, communicating feedback to new contractors
- Pitches and develops new processes that improve or ease client or internal efforts, and creates or updates documentation accordingly
- Provides early consultation to project editors and authors on the best approaches for presenting the material in select manuscripts
- Performs additional duties ranging from establishing design and editorial style criteria to specially assigned projects
- Proficiency using computer software that includes Microsoft Office and Adobe Creative Suite (CC) with an emphasis on InDesign, Illustrator, Photoshop, Word, and Excel
- Experience with academic publishing workflows and comfortable working within an expanding digital workflow system
- Professional demeanor paired with strong interpersonal and communication skills (written and verbal), including the ability to present information clearly one-on-one and in group settings
- Thorough understanding of English grammar and experience with editorial processes
- Superb attention to detail
- Strong analytical skills
- Ability to work well under pressure in an environment of rapidly changing deadlines and priorities and to meet or exceed deadlines
- Motivation to work independently
- Above-average capacity for organization, time management, and multi-tasking, along with the ability to balance multiple priorities simultaneously
- Exceptional decision making and problem solving skills
- Ability to work cohesively and productively with colleagues
- Willingness to adapt to fast-changing processes and procedures that improve efficiency
- Some experience with copyediting and style guides, specifically The Chicago Manual of Style and/or APA, is preferred
Minimum Experience: Previous experience working with a production team is required—2 years of experience to be considered at the associate production editor level, 4 years at the production editor level, and 6 years at the senior production editor level—along with technical proficiency in listed software programs. Preference will be given to candidates with experience in both print and digital production (the latter including .epub and .mobi formats and XML standards).
Minimum Education: Bachelor’s degree
Reports to: Director of Academic Publishing
Status: Full-Time, Non-Exempt
Start Date: Immediate
Location: This position is based out of our corporate office located in the Sorrento Valley area of San Diego, California. Relocation assistance is not available for this position, but candidates who are willing to move will be considered.
Compensation: Competitive wage and benefits package (health, vision, dental, generous vacation, holiday, and sick time, and 401K matching plan) with bonus opportunities based on optional participation in our wellness program. Education benefit program and volunteer time stipend also included.
To apply: To be considered, email a cover letter and résumé to email@example.com. All submissions will be held in confidence.
Cognella® is redefining academic publishing by creating teacher-driven, student-centric higher education course materials in print and digital formats under three imprints: Cognella® Academic Publishing, Cognella® Custom, and Cognella® Active Learning. Cognella also publishes engaging nonfiction titles featuring modern perspectives as Cognella® Press. Learn more at www.cognella.com.
Cognella was recently awarded a 2018 Top Workplaces designation by the San Diego Union-Tribune. We’re proud to offer Cognella team members a work environment that fosters collaboration, innovation, and the opportunity to contribute significantly toward the goals of the company.
Cognella, Inc. is an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) employer.
Recruiters please do not contact this job post.