The Cognella Academic Publishing imprint of Cognella, Inc. is immediately seeking copyeditors to join our freelance copyediting team.
We receive manuscripts and shorter assignments for academic textbooks throughout the calendar year with high-volume peaks September–December and March–July. Most assignments will require a light copyedit in Chicago Manual of Style (though we also request APA and MLA), and we require that you use Microsoft Word’s “Track Changes” feature while making your edits. The turnaround time for our assignments varies from a couple of days for smaller jobs (under 40 pages) to 1–2 weeks for full-length manuscripts, and during our busier seasons we may ask you to be particularly deadline-aware.
Though no two books are exactly the same, you will be expected to fulfill many of the same responsibilities for every manuscript.
Mechanical Editing—Conforming to House Style
- Correcting faulty spelling, grammar, and punctuation
- Treating numbers and numerals consistently
- Standardizing treatment of quotations, abbreviations, and acronyms
- Treating special elements (headings, lists, tables, and charts) consistently
- Ensuring consistency in spelling, hyphenation, numerals, fonts, and capitalization
- Checking for proper sequencing (such as alphabetical order) in lists and other displayed material
- Correcting all bibliographical/reference entries so that elements appear consistently throughout each chapter
- Checking specific cross-references (for example, “As Table 14-6 shows…”) and noting first references to figures, tables, and other display elements
Language Editing—Grammar, Usage, and Diction
- Imposing consistent style and tone for multi-author manuscripts
- Correcting incorrect usage (such as can for may)
- Adjusting passive/active voice
- Flagging ambiguous or incorrect statements
- Improving readability and syntax by smoothing transitions and flagging inappropriate word choices
- Professional demeanor paired with strong interpersonal and communication skills (written and verbal)
- Proven excellence at copyediting and proofing with impeccable attention to detail
- Fast and efficient with proven project/time management skills; committed to meeting deadlines
- Thorough understanding of English grammar and Chicago Manual of Style and/or APA style
- Strong analytical skills
- Motivation to work independently
- Flexible work schedule
- Bachelor’s degree or additional years of relevant experience
- 2+ years’ experience as a copyeditor or professional writer
For consideration, please e-mail a cover letter and résumé to Christian Berk (firstname.lastname@example.org) with the subject heading: Copyediting Application. All submissions will be held in confidence. All candidates will be asked to take a qualifying test. In your application, please indicate whether you would like to take the qualifying test for only CMS style or both CMS and APA styles.
Cognella® is redefining academic publishing by creating teacher-driven, student-centric higher education course materials in print and digital formats under three imprints: Cognella® Academic Publishing, Cognella® Custom, and Cognella® Active Learning. Cognella also publishes engaging nonfiction titles featuring modern perspectives as Cognella® Press. Learn more at www.cognella.com.
Cognella was recently awarded a 2020 Top Workplaces designation by the San Diego Union-Tribune. We’re proud to offer Cognella team members a work environment that fosters collaboration, innovation, and the opportunity to contribute significantly toward the goals of the company.
Cognella, Inc. is an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) employer.