The Cognella Licensing Team is seeking an exceptional individual to a fill the critical role of licensing associate. The licensing associate reports directly to the licensing manager and is responsible for negotiating and securing licensing agreements with other publishers. This individual will regularly communicate by phone and email with authors, publishers, sales associates, and other team members in a fast-moving, team-oriented environment. The licensing associate will also assist in various administrative tasks related to project management and permissions clearance. This position requires tremendous attention to detail, exceptional negotiation skills, and outstanding written and verbal communication skills.
- Clear permissions:
- Secure rights to use copyright-protected materials
- Review reading lists, identify any potential permissions concerns, research, verify rights holder, and prepare permissions requests
- Negotiate fees:
- Interact directly with publishers to minimize license fees
- Process invoices:
- Help to maintain and update a large database of publisher information
- Prepare licensing fees estimates and advise clients about quality and cost-effective materials
- Performs quality/accuracy assurance checks on all projects
- Assist other licensing team members:
- Send follow-up requests, log requests, and review images and other third-party content
- Assist with subsidiary (audio and translation) rights sales
- Must be 18 years or older
- Bachelor’s degree required
- 2-5 years of experience in negotiation, licensing, or other relevant positions at an academic publishing house preferred
- Professional demeanor along with superior verbal and written communication skills and the ability to work well with clients
- Strong computer skills and familiarity with Microsoft Excel
- Excellent communication, problem-solving, and leadership skills
- Exceptional organizational skills with proven ability to prioritize daily operations and long-term projects in order to meet deadlines, ensure efficient workflow, and handle multiple tasks simultaneously
- Ability to work well under pressure and multitask effectively
- Superb attention to detail
- Must be able to work effectively and productively both independently and with a wide variety of people in an environment of rapidly changing deadlines and priorities
Reports to: Licensing Manager
Start date: Immediate
Location: This position is based out of the Cognella corporate office located in the Sorrento Valley area of San Diego, California. Relocation assistance is not available for this position. Due to the public health crisis, our staff is currently working remotely. This position will be remote to start, but the licensing associate will be expected to work in the San Diego office once it is reopened.
To apply: For consideration, please email a cover letter and resume to email@example.com. All submissions will be held in confidence.
Recruiters please do not contact this job post.
Cognella® is redefining academic publishing by creating teacher-driven, student-centric higher education course materials in print and digital formats under three imprints: Cognella® Academic Publishing, Cognella® Custom, and Cognella® Active Learning. Cognella also publishes engaging nonfiction titles featuring modern perspectives as Cognella® Press. Learn more at www.cognella.com.
Cognella was recently awarded a 2019 Top Workplaces designation by the San Diego Union-Tribune. We’re proud to offer Cognella team members a work environment that fosters collaboration, innovation, and the opportunity to contribute significantly toward the goals of the company.
Cognella, Inc. is an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) employer.