The Cognella Active Learning imprint of Cognella, Inc. is immediately seeking a project editor to join our fast-moving and close-knit publishing team, play a primary role in overseeing the editorial development of forthcoming textbooks or interactive learning materials, and successfully manage client relationships. In this position, the project editor will be responsible for ensuring the delivery of vetted and well-crafted educational content, either for print or digital distribution, according to its planned schedule of publication. They will regularly consult with our authors and coordinate all necessary activities and tasks needed to prepare the handoff of organized and well-rounded material to our production teams. This position is an integral part of the company that has a high influence on client management and product preparation, both of which directly impact the overall success of the company.
The ideal candidate will possess natural communication skills and an ability to develop and maintain strong client relationships. This person should be organized, efficient, have a deep understanding of project management, and possess knowledge about editorial processes. The position requires someone with a collaborative spirit and get-it-done attitude, who is excited to help mold content for a student audience, and who is a team player willing to help others. This is an amazing opportunity to impact student learning success, expand a portfolio of work, and develop lasting associations with academics in a variety of fields and disciplines.
- Project Management
- Serve as a principal liaison to our clients and have informed discussions on all aspects of the publishing process with our authors/editors and stakeholders
- Partner with your assigned acquisitions editors to manage all aspects of title development—from the moment the agreement is signed to delivery of raw content to production
- Provide resources and participate in webinars for new authors, leading them through the successful development of learning materials and offering tools to assist them
- Maintain project schedules and keep projects running on time
- Coordinate project activities with internal and external teams, from creative to sales, communicating clearly and effectively with various stakeholders
- Build strong, lasting relationships with authors while being brand ambassadors for Cognella
2. Editorial Development
- Determine project scope, review content mix with authors, and facilitate the provision of comprehensive editorial feedback from developmental editors, instructional designers, or other writing consultants—all in the interest of arriving at a cost-effective, editorially sound, or outcome-driven product that is an effective classroom tool for students
- Perform benchmarking and coordinate peer reviews
- Identify and pursue new business opportunities stemming from current projects
- Apply specialized knowledge toward the department and company’s further development
3. Administration and Reporting
- Use our existing database for project tracking and regular reporting
- Update internal teams on weekly metrics, sharing progress made across projects
- Develop new reports and tracking tools that can be used by all team members
- Review and analyze performance during previous publishing terms and offer and implement ideas for improvement
- Exceptional organizational skills with proven ability to prioritize multiple daily tasks and long-term projects in order to meet deadlines, ensure efficient workflow, and effectively manage competing responsibilities
- Professional demeanor paired with strong interpersonal and communication skills (written and verbal), including the ability to negotiate, persuade, and present information clearly one-on-one and in group settings
- Thorough understanding of English grammar and experience with editorial processes
- Superb attention to detail
- Strong analytical skills
- Ability to work well under pressure in an environment of rapidly changing deadlines and priorities
- Motivation to work independently
- Excellent problem-solving skills and a proven record of generating creative solutions
- Ability to work cohesively with colleagues and clients and to maintain strong client relationships
- Flexibility and willingness to adapt to changes in duties, responsibilities, and processes
- Willingness to invest in a positive and engaged company culture
- Experience with editorial processes and higher education content is required
- Preference will be given to those with demonstrated experience building digital learning tools and adapting content for learning management systems
- Familiarity with Canvas and Moodle is a plus
- Experience applying instructional design methodology, including ADDIE, AGILE, and backward design, and applications for online learning
- High proficiency using computer software including Microsoft Office and virtual meeting tools
- Additional consideration will be given to those with experience using eLearning software such as Articulate
- Bachelor’s degree or higher level
Reports to: Director of Academic Publishing (Academic Publishing) or Active Learning Manager (Active Learning)
Status: Full-Time, may be Exempt or Non-Exempt depending on level
Start date: Immediate
Location: All Cognella employees will be working remotely through at least the end of 2020. We plan to return to our office in the Sorrento Valley area of San Diego, California, when it is safe to do so. Permanent remote applicants will be considered. Relocation assistance is not available for this position.
Compensation: Competitive wage and benefits package (health, vision, dental, vacation, holiday, and sick time, and 401K matching plan) with bonus opportunities based on optional participation in our wellness program. Education benefit program and volunteer time stipend also included.
To apply: To be considered, email a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.
All submissions will be held in confidence.
Recruiters, please do not contact this job post.
Cognella® is redefining academic publishing by creating teacher-driven, student-centric higher education course materials in print and digital formats under three imprints: Cognella® Academic Publishing, Cognella® Custom, and Cognella® Active Learning. Cognella also publishes engaging nonfiction titles featuring modern perspectives as Cognella® Press. Learn more at www.cognella.com.
Cognella was recently awarded a 2019 Top Workplaces designation by the San Diego Union-Tribune. We’re proud to offer Cognella team members a work environment that fosters collaboration, innovation, and the opportunity to contribute significantly toward the goals of the company.
Cognella, Inc. is an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) employer.