Publishing Intern (Paid Internship)
The Cognella Immersive Internship was designed to help individuals interested in pursuing a career in publishing find their place in the industry. There’s no coffee-fetching or busywork here: this rigorous, 12-month, paid internship leads interns through multiple departments, such as editorial, production, customer service, sales, marketing, and licensing. The intern will work 20-29 hours per week (some schedule flexibility) with publishing professionals on department-specific projects that will provide them with impressive depth and breadth of experience, all while reporting to and being mentored by a senior manager. At the end of the internship, dependent on performance and subject to availability, they might be offered a second internship term, a part-time or full-time role at the company, or else exit the program with a highly competitive addition for a resume.
- 18 years or older
- Strong interest in learning about and working in the publishing industry
- Curious and ready to question, absorb, and contribute
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Outstanding problem-solving and prioritization skills
- Superb attention to detail
- Strong computer skills and familiarity with Word and Excel
Additional proficiency or familiarity with any of the following a plus:
- Adobe Creative Cloud/InDesign
- CSS/HTML coding
- Google Sheets
- Excel (especially vLookup and pivot tables)
- Acoustic Marketing Cloud
Sample tasks may include, but are not limited to:
- Format manuscripts
- Download images and third-party readings
- Prepare materials for handoff to production
- Perform layout checks
- Submit final manuscript files to printer
- Assist with artwork editing
- Conduct market research for special data collection projects
- Build out social media campaigns
- Send email marketing campaigns
- Review images and other third-party content in manuscripts to prepare permissions requests
- Negotiate licensing fees directly with publishers
- Update publisher information and process invoices for permissions
- Research faculty contact info to assist sales reps
- Call on open leads to offer digital desk copies
- Learn selling features of and help promote a specific book
- Help process bookstore purchase orders
- Analyze data to identify top customer service issues and brainstorm solutions
- Send email campaigns to repeat clients
Reports to: Sr. Manager, Revisions and Author Care
Start date: Immediate
Location: Due to the public health crisis, our staff is currently working remotely. This position will be remote to start, but will be expected to work in the San Diego office in the Sorrento Valley area once it is reopened. Relocation assistance is not available for this position.
To apply: For consideration, please email a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. All submissions will be held in confidence.
Cognella® is redefining academic publishing by creating teacher-driven, student-centric higher education course materials in print and digital formats under three imprints: Cognella® Academic Publishing, Cognella® Custom, and Cognella® Active Learning. Cognella also publishes engaging nonfiction titles featuring modern perspectives as Cognella® Press. Learn more at www.cognella.com.
Cognella was recently awarded a 2021 Top Workplaces designation by the San Diego Union-Tribune. We’re proud to offer Cognella team members a work environment that fosters collaboration, innovation, and the opportunity to contribute significantly toward the goals of the company.
Cognella, Inc. is an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) employer.
Recruiters, please do not contact this job post.