The Cognella Academic Publishing imprint of Cognella, Inc. is immediately seeking a full-time editorial associate to join our fast-moving and close-knit publishing team and to provide essential support for our forthcoming textbooks. In this position, the editorial associate will be responsible for the completion of tasks that relate to the editorial development of academic textbooks. Additionally, they may engage in communication with authors in a variety of disciplines nationwide as you assist our project editors and their assigned authors.
The ideal candidate will possess a keen interest in the editorial process. They should be able to learn new programs and processes quickly, possess an innate curiosity about the inner workings of publishing, and have the drive and direction to complete their work thoroughly and efficiently. This position requires someone who is eager to support our team, with a collaborative spirit and get-it-done attitude. This is an amazing opportunity to learn and grow a career in publishing in a thriving entrepreneurial environment.
- Support editorial staff with receipt and review of manuscripts, including formatting text and using CSS/HTML short codes to prepare for production
- Liaise with other internal teams—including licensing, marketing, creative, and operations—at varying phases throughout the publication process
- Log materials and provide research assistance
- Clean content received as scans from hard copy
- Assist editors with conducting peer reviews and benchmarking
- Coordinate assignments to freelance vendors
- Use our existing database for project tracking, keeping records up to date
- Maintain telephone and e-mail correspondence with clients under direction
As the editorial associate develops further expertise, the position may grow to involve:
- Pitching and developing new processes that improve or ease client or internal efforts
- Providing manuscript feedback directly to authors
- Applying specialized knowledge toward the department and company’s further development
- Taking part in building training systems and leading training for new employees
- Professional demeanor paired with strong interpersonal and communication skills (written and verbal), including the ability to present information clearly one-on-one and in group settings
- Proven organizational skills with a strong ability to complete tasks on time
- Thorough understanding of English grammar and experience with editorial processes
- Superb attention to detail
- Motivation to work independently with exceptional problem-solving skills
- Ability to work cohesively and productively with colleagues
- Flexibility and willingness to adapt to changes in duties, responsibilities, and processes
- Willingness to invest in a positive and engaged company culture
- Familiarity using computer software including Microsoft Office and Adobe Acrobat Pro
- Must be at least 18 years of age
Preference will be given to those with previous experience working with an editorial team, particularly if the role was in academic publishing, as well as candidates with a working knowledge of HTML/CSS.
Bachelor’s degree or equivalent combination of education, skills, and experience is required.
Reports To: Director of Academic Publishing
Status: Full-Time, Non-Exempt
Start Date: Immediate
Location: Flexible remote position. Those in San Diego have the option of working out of Cognella’s corporate office located in the Sorrento Valley area of San Diego, California. Relocation assistance is not available for this position.
Compensation: Starting at $18.76 per hour, depending on experience. Includes competitive wage and benefits package (health, vision, dental, vacation, holiday, and sick time, and 401K matching plan) with bonus opportunities based on optional participation in our wellness program. Education benefit program and volunteer time stipend also included.
To Apply: To be considered, apply through our Indeed position listing: https://www.indeed.com/viewjob?t=editorial+associate&jk=4728df92e14fb6c2&_ga=2.225144537.2107688121.1662006242-1776836164.1646679424. All submissions will be held in confidence.
Cognella® is redefining academic publishing by creating teacher-driven, student-centric higher education course materials in print and digital formats under three imprints: Cognella® Academic Publishing, Cognella® Custom, and Cognella® Active Learning. Cognella also publishes engaging nonfiction titles featuring modern perspectives as Cognella® Press. Learn more at www.cognella.com.
Cognella was recently awarded a 2021 Top Workplaces designation by the San Diego Union-Tribune. We’re proud to offer Cognella team members a work environment that fosters collaboration, innovation, and the opportunity to contribute significantly toward the goals of the company.
Cognella, Inc. is an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) employer.