Freelance Spanish Language Proofreader
Cognella is recruiting enthusiastic, hard-working, and dedicated Spanish-language proofreaders to join our remote freelance pool. In this role, you will make sure that our textbooks are consistently formatted and error-free.
Candidates with publishing experience, exemplary proofreading skills, and attention to detail are strongly encouraged to apply.
- Receive book interior files (Adobe PDF files) and original source material in PDF or Word format
- Read/scan all book text for accuracy and consistency; this includes checking for misspelled words, incorrect characters, missing words/pages, and other inconsistencies or typos
- Compare book interior layout against source files for accuracy as needed
- Ensure all house style preferences are correctly applied throughout the text, working through supplied Layout Checklist
- No line-editing or copyediting is involved
- Typical assignment turn-around is 5–7 days, dependent upon book length; due dates are given at the time of project assignment
- Adobe Reader or Acrobat is required for this work; you many need to update to the most recent version
- Familiarity with book formatting and design conventions is essential
- A reliable internet connection and e-mail access for communication and file transfers
- Ability to proofread with accuracy and an eye for detail
- Ability to meet deadlines and communicate in a timely manner
- Must be regularly available for assignments March through July and October through December
- Must be comfortable working objectively with a wide range of academic topics
For consideration, please email a cover letter and resume to Casey Hands (email@example.com) with the subject heading: Proofreading Application. All submissions will be held in confidence. All candidates will be asked to take a qualifying test. Freelance proofreaders are paid a flat fee based on project page count and layout complexity.
Cognella® is redefining academic publishing by creating teacher-driven, student-centric higher education course materials in print and digital formats under three imprints: Cognella® Academic Publishing, Cognella® Custom, and Cognella® Active Learning. Cognella also publishes engaging nonfiction titles featuring modern perspectives as Cognella® Press. Learn more at www.cognella.com.
Cognella was recently awarded a 2021 Top Workplaces designation by the San Diego Union-Tribune. We’re proud to offer Cognella team members a work environment that fosters collaboration, innovation, and the opportunity to contribute significantly toward the goals of the company.
Cognella, Inc. is an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) employer.