The Cognella Academic Publishing imprint of Cognella, Inc. is immediately seeking a Project Editor to join our fast-moving and close-knit publishing team, exercise proven project management skills, play a primary role overseeing the editorial development of forthcoming textbooks, and successfully manage author–client relationships. In this position you will be responsible for ensuring the delivery of vetted and well-crafted educational content, for both print and digital distribution, according to its planned schedule of publication. You will regularly consult with our authors and coordinate all necessary activities and tasks needed to prepare the handoff of organized and well-rounded material to our production teams. This position fulfills an integral role that has a high influence on client management and product preparation, both of which directly impact the overall success of the company.
The ideal candidate will demonstrate strong project management experience with an ability to operate within internal database systems and maintain project records in real time to coordinate their work. They will also possess natural communication skills and an ability to develop and maintain strong client relationships. This person should be organized, efficient, and possess knowledge about editorial processes. The position requires someone with a collaborative spirit and get-it-done attitude, who is excited to help mold content for a student audience, and who is a team player willing to help others. This is an amazing opportunity to impact student learning success, expanding your own portfolio of work, and to develop lasting associations with academics in a variety of fields and disciplines.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Project Management
- Serve as a principal liaison to our clients and have informed discussions on all aspects of the publishing process with our authors, employing positive motivational techniques to maintain momentum and engagement
- Partner with our acquisitions editors to manage all aspects of title development—from the moment the agreement is signed to delivery of raw content to production
- Provide resources for new authors, leading them through successfully developing learning materials and offering tools to assist them
- Maintain project schedules and keep projects running on time
- Coordinate project activities with internal and external teams, from creative to sales, communicating clearly and effectively with various stakeholders
- Build strong, lasting relationships with authors while being brand ambassadors for Cognella
- Editorial Development
- Determine project scope, review content mix with authors, and facilitate the provision of comprehensive editorial feedback from developmental editors, instructional designers, or other writing consultants—all in the interest of arriving at a cost-effective, editorially sound or outcome-driven product that is an effective classroom tool for students
- Perform benchmarking and coordinate peer reviews
- Identify and pursue new business opportunities stemming from current projects
- Apply specialized knowledge toward the department and company’s further development
- Administration + Reporting
- Use our existing database for project tracking and regular reporting
- Update internal teams on weekly metrics, sharing progress made across projects
- Develop new reports and tracking tools that can be used by all team members
- Review and analyze performance during previous publishing terms; offer and implement ideas for improvement
- Exceptional organizational skills with proven ability to prioritize multiple daily tasks and long-term projects in order to meet deadlines, ensure efficient workflow, and effectively manage competing responsibilities
- Professional demeanor paired with strong interpersonal and communication skills (written and verbal), including the ability to negotiate, persuade, and present information clearly one-on-one and in group settings
- Thorough understanding of English grammar and experience with editorial processes
- Superb attention to detail
- Strong analytical skills
- Ability to work well under pressure in an environment of rapidly changing deadlines and priorities
- Motivation to work independently
- Excellent problem-solving skills and a proven record of generating creative solutions
- Ability to work cohesively with colleagues and clients and to maintain strong client relationships
- Flexibility and willingness to adapt to changes in duties, responsibilities, and processes
- Willingness to invest in a positive and engaged company culture
- 3+ years working with an editorial team with a focus on project scheduling and project management. Preference will be given to those with an academic publishing background.
- High proficiency using computer software including Microsoft Office, Adobe Acrobat Pro, and virtual meeting tools. Additional consideration will be given to candidates with project management software experience.
Minimum Education Requirements
Bachelor’s degree or higher level
Compensation: Wage ranges based on assigned professional levels and experience. Professional Level I starting at $50,000/yr to Senior Professional Level II starting at $65,000/yr.
Cognella also provides a comprehensive and competitive benefits package for full-time employees. We offer a health, vision, and dental plan at a 70% contribution match for the individual; generous vacation with Cognella’s flexible vacation policy of non-accrued paid time off; holiday (12 holidays/year); sick time (10 days/year); and 401K matching plan (4% match on the first 5% of an employee’s annual compensation after one year of employment; 100% match of the first 3% and 50% match from 3–5% of an employee’s annual compensation); and anniversary, wellness, public transportation, and educational programs.
Reports to: Director of Academic Publishing
Status: Full-Time, may be Exempt or Non-Exempt depending on level
Start Date: Immediate
Location: Solana Beach (San Diego County), CA. Daily in-office schedule with possible hybrid/telecommuting schedule after ramp-up and goal attainment.
Although Cognella currently embraces a hybrid remote/in-office work schedule for employees in San Diego County that balances the flexibility of telecommuting with the benefits and necessity of in-person work and collaboration, each role and department is different. Cognella reserves the right to change its telecommuting, remote, or hybrid work policies at any time.
Remote applicants may be considered if they possess a consistent record of demonstrated success in a previously remote role. In order to successfully work remotely, employees must provide a proper home workstation set-up which includes internet connectivity and a workspace large enough to accommodate dual monitors, laptop, and accessories that is free from distractions.
To Apply: For consideration, please email cover letter and resume to email@example.com. All submissions will be held in confidence.
Cognella® is redefining academic publishing by creating teacher-driven, student-centric higher education course materials in print and digital formats under three imprints: Cognella® Academic Publishing, Cognella® Custom, and Cognella® Active Learning. Cognella also publishes engaging nonfiction titles featuring modern perspectives as Cognella® Press. Learn more at www.cognella.com.
Cognella has been awarded a 2022 Top Workplaces designation by the San Diego Union-Tribune (the 6th consecutive year). We are proud to offer Cognella team members a work environment that fosters collaboration, innovation, and the opportunity to contribute significantly toward the goals of the company.
Cognella, Inc. is an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) employer.
Recruiters, please do not contact this job post.